There are more than 30,000 non-fatal electric shocks that take place all across the country each year. Many of these shocks occur inside homes, and some even involve children. The good news is they’re often preventable as long as you take the proper precautions. Here are a few ways that you can stop an electric shock from happening in your home.
Put plug covers over all your electrical outlets.
If you have a small child living in your home, you should place plug covers over each and every electrical outlet in your house. No matter how many times you tell a young child not to touch an electrical outlet, there is always a chance that they could get curious and try to do it anyway when you’re not looking. If they’re able to stick something into an outlet, it could result in them experiencing an electric shock.
Keep anything that’s plugged into an outlet away from water.
Positioning electronics anywhere in the general vicinity of water is a big no-no. You should keep your toaster away from your sink, your Bluetooth speaker away from your bathtub, and all of your other gadgets away from the various sources of water throughout your home. If an electronic falls into water while it’s plugged in, it could prove to be catastrophic.
Replace old, worn-down electrical fixtures.
The electrical switches and outlets in your home aren’t designed to last forever. They will wear down on you over time and eventually need to be replaced. If you choose not to replace them, your electrical fixtures could cause small electric shocks. Touch base with an electrician as soon as you can to have old electrical fixtures removed from your home and replaced with new ones.
Always On Electric can reduce the chances of anyone in your home sustaining an electric shock by providing you with electrical services. Call us at 970-309-2616 today to see how our services can keep you safe.